It’s 9 days since the girls began to lay.
There have been 21 eggs so far; I’ve eaten 1, given 6 away and have 10 in the fridge.
There were 4 ‘bummers’. One was laid out in the open and had a small peck hole in it (nobody owned up, but Cheeky was the closest and clucking and looking guilty).
Two had no shell and the remaining one I found early one morning, broken, under the night roost. It must have dropped out of someone’s rear end during the night. I figured whoever it was wouldn’t lay that day, but they all did, so someone actually managed 2 in 24 hours.
The largest was 48 g and the average is around 42 g. I assume their egg production systems are still getting into gear and will eventually settle down.
They’ve refused to go into the nests built into the side of the coop (looks like I wasted my money on a pre-made coop) and seem to like digging a hole in the sand on the floor of the coop and arranging the shredded paper around the hole.
So that I don’t have to scrabble on hands and knees, I bought a dog pooper-scooper with a long handle which makes collecting the eggs easy.
I finally finished the last of the bought eggs, so from now on it’s all my own produce. A really good feeling, to provide yet another food item for myself.