Rethinking Renewable Mandates

via Rethinking Renewable Mandates

Reblogged from Damn The Matrix

3 Responses to “Rethinking Renewable Mandates”

  1. Chris Says:

    I see the logic behind the conclusions of the article, but cannot see it coming into being, while political races need to be won. It’s the demand to see action on climate change, by voters, which drive political parties to invent mandates. Without these green chips, to cash in with voters, they’re effectively out of the race.

    It’s ironic, business doesn’t want the expense or political red-tape, of using green chips – voters don’t want to trade in anything but green chips, and the govt plays Bookie, between them.

    In some ways, I see this having a positive impact overall though. If the Bookie wasn’t running the odds between vested parties, in a public arena, there may be no discussion of what individuals can do, themselves – when continuing to wear the losses, or they don’t like the odds. 🙂

    Like

  2. Chris Says:

    So yeah, I see the logic. But the real change only comes, when individuals stop dealing with Bookies and Businessmen, to invest in real soltuons themselves. Which the author explains towards the end. But I have a little sympathy for why Renewable Mandates exist in the first place.

    It’s the govt’s response to climate change. Parties which have dropped the ball on these policies, in the past, have been branded climate deniers. Then they’re completely out of the race, with voters.

    Like

    • foodnstuff Says:

      There is nothing anyone can do to reverse the effects of climate change, given that a certain amount of that change has been locked in by the amount of fossil fuel burning that has happened since the end of WW2. I think the majority of people don’t see that it is an existential crisis….one that has the capacity to cause the human race to eventually go extinct. Demanding Government action is a waste of time….they are as powerless as the rest of us. The damage has been done by all our past unthinking actions caused by the desire to have the benefits of fossil fuel energy. The day of reckoning is coming for everyone on the planet, even though it has been largely caused by greedy Western lifestyles. And on top of that we are going to have to face the decline in net energy that is occurring because it is costing more in energy terms to extract the last remaining oil.

      Renewables are all about electricity and it represents only about 20% of world energy usage. The other 80% is transport fuels and we are not even looking into the means to replace those. We will have to live without electricity. We have done so in the past and can do so again, but there won’t be 7.5 billion of us.

      More and more people are coming to understand that this is not a problem with solutions, but a predicament without solutions. Whether governments realise this or not, is another thing. I suspect they’re only interested in staying in power and picking up their huge salaries, hoping that the majority won’t realise that BAU is over.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: